sexta-feira, 13 de abril de 2012

m.&mme_by Valentin Loellmann









On the Composition and Treatment of Materials in My Work:

"I am treating materials like living organisms in my work. For example, a piece of wood is not mere material substance. In my creative vision and practice, it represents the opportunity to merge with other elements. Using polyester, I alienate its appearance and surfaces, as if it had been sculptured. The fusion of the various components stamps the final work piece with its unique character. In the act of artistic creation, I like to think of my pieces as 'being born’. And naturally, every child is different. This difference accounts for the variety of processes and forms in which manifold materials might join together. The general shape and the unique finish of my furniture are of an expressive nature.Objects adopt their own gesture and mimics. This expression finds its roots in my relationship with the environment. I handle those materials in a rather free creative spirit, using craftsmanship techniques that are performed by my most inner and personal dispositions. Like a child inherits many characteristics and behaviors from its parents, my collections and pieces reveal a big part of me."


Valentin Löllmann's Creative Inspirations: Emotional and External Influences:
"What could be more individual than an emotion? My emotions arise when I find myself confronted to new contexts and individuals, when my environment uncovers deep insights and new perspectives. I have always had an intimate attention for the objects and materials that surround me. This attention is the premise to my inspirations and the creative act that follows. New encounters or the discovery of abandoned places feed my imagination. In my creations, I always aim to express the balance and the reciprocity between the past and the present, the old and the new, the natural and the artificial.
I think that an overload of concepts can make our world smaller. Our minds tend to block out things that do not fit our system of belief. My aim is to reverse the process of adopting ready-made concepts and reopen my mind to new opportunities, to be able to rediscover my childhood appetite for wonder and curiosity. Whether you perceive me as an antiquarian, a space lover, a dreamer, a wood worker, a designer or an artist does not change the very core of my inspiration. Being attentive enough to the fascinating places that are part of one's landscape, a world opens up, in between childhood memories and lifetime dreams."

A Piece is Born:
"First, a leg emerged, my body showed its shape, and finally I stood up. Wandering around in the alleys of life I feel being a reminder to my creator's memories. Don't get fooled by my apparent stable posture. My allure and my unique character can unfold into a world of motion, dynamism and play. It is a world in which my owner sets the rules, and in which stability is rare. My appearance caches a story and its narrative course is driven by my viewers' imagination. Approach me from a distinct perspective and I will reveal you another part of myself! Follow the melodies of my forms. They will lead you into a world where aesthetics meet fantasy. I am now finding existence in this world."

A Work with its own mind:

"Beyond the pragmatic understanding of design, lies the expressive fluidity of my lines. The spontaneity of my shapes escapes the formal demands of product design. In reflecting memories and atmospheres long-hidden in my creator's experiences, I brave the demands of productivity. What purpose am I actually fulfilling? This question does not satisfy my manifold dispositions. I am progressively disconnecting from any notion of 'product'. I am running to an unknown destination full of imagery and personification."

Let's Fantasize About the Future:
"I have always incorporated the creative understanding of furniture design in my work. However, the site of that incorporation is undergoing evolutions. At the present stage of my creative development, I see the realm of art opening its doors to me. My urge for exploration is enhancing the playful and adventurous touch of my creations. The present collection is not furniture looking like objects, but instead, these pieces are authentic objects with a reminiscence of furniture. Since I am still at the beginning of my learning curve, I keep dreaming! I catch myself drawing plans how to change spaces and rooms. I do not know what the future holds, but then again: It is just the beginning..."-

Words: Jean-Sylvain T.Mukendi
Photos: Jonas Loellmann

Sem comentários:

Enviar um comentário