sábado, 31 de março de 2012

Joël Penkman_Painter














New Zealand born graphic designer Joel Penkman spends his free time deliberately triggering our sweet tooth with his still life paintings of food. He puts a lot of love into the process of these paintings, from using egg tempera and gesso to grinding and mixing his own paint. The combination of the iconic subjects and the style give his work a real retro vibe that exudes a sort of childhood nostalgia.

By Joel Penkman :
I love food, and I love to paint, so combining the two seemed like a good idea.
My compositions are simple still-life studies with clean backgrounds to make easier for individuals to make a connection. Food triggers memories and emotion, I like that people can bring something of themselves to the artworks. My favourite medium is egg tempera. It is very time consuming as I make the gesso to prepare my boards and grind my own paint to mix, but the results are worth it.
I was born in 1979 in New Zealand were I grew up. After finishing my degree in Graphic design at Canterbury University's School of Fine Art (in Christchurch), I moved to the UK where I have been working for the past eight years as a graphic designer.
I hope my pictures will make people smile.

Sem comentários:

Enviar um comentário